/* ---- JAVA FOR EXPANDABLE STUFFF ---- */ /* ---- END JAVA FOR EXPANDABLE STUFFF ---- */

eat more paint

I deface masterpieces so you don't have to.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Botticelli does: Kate Moss & Pete Doherty


These two fascinate me. I lovingly think of them as cartoons with a pulse, albeit a rather erratic one (coke & heroine, recipe for an arrythmia). Naturally, I thought my first post should pay tribute to the Mickey and Minnie of Sex, Drugs, and Rehab. And when i stumbled upon this Botticelli masterpiece , my job was made so much easier since Mars was passed out and uncannily resembled the rarely-sober Pete.

Click to enlarge image. Have fun ferreting out the somewhat hidden drug paraphenalia scattered about.

Botticelli's Venus and Mars defiled with Photoshop CS and Painter 9

*Update Thanks to Married to the Mob NYC for posting Kate and Pete

5 Comments:

  • Great work. You've got the skills. I'll be checking back here.

    By Blogger Tess, at 10:26 AM  

  • Great execution to match the concept. You show a new concern with the construction of stagelike spaces and stiffer figures, also seen in a series of his altarpieces of 1485 and 1489.

    Obviously a bow to the work of Domenico Ghirlandaio and of Flemish painting is implied, but the tense linearity of the figure suggests that your reinterpretation of Botticelli's art might indicate what the artist had in mind, but was inappropriate for the period.

    I think about this stuff a lot these days.

    By Blogger Boomer Bill, at 1:48 PM  

  • Excellent! But can I commission it in oil?

    By Blogger LE, at 12:12 PM  

  • Now THIS is a seriously amazing masterpiece. I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!

    By Blogger Sister Christian, at 8:47 AM  

  • By God, you're brilliant!

    By Blogger Cup, at 12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home